Granado Espada : Sophistique
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Granado Espada : Sophistique

A forum for the Sophistique Faction

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Nerdy Computer Specs!

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Merquise

Merquise

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2009-03-17

Nerdy Computer Specs! Empty
PostSubject: Nerdy Computer Specs!   Nerdy Computer Specs! EmptySat Jun 06, 2009 11:41 am

So a conversation popped up about computer graphics hardware today in order to achieve better FPS (frames per second) during CW which is pretty understandable since CW is very taxing on the computer. Other reasons for upgrading your hardware is to get better eye candy (things that jiggle for example). Note that increasing quality will lower FPS due to it taxing the computer more.

The amount that you can increase it depends on your computer hardware. You should not automatically apply my settings to your computer otherwise it just might fry Laughing

The loading time of textures and graphics can be assisted by a fast HDD (i.e SSDs or WD Velociraptor).

The easiest thing that you can do, is to go into the GE Configuration Panel:
Nerdy Computer Specs! Controlpanelr.th

Disable the Spilling/Gradiation/Bloom effect for the clearest image.

Further Improvements:
You can go into your graphics card control panel. This is what ATI's Catalyst Control Panel looks like to increase 3D quality settings:
Nerdy Computer Specs! Cccsettings.thNerdy Computer Specs! Cccsettings2.thNerdy Computer Specs! Cccsettings3.th

Nvidia's Control Panel is similar in function and options. In Nvidia's control panel, you can set different settings for each application which may or may not be spiffy if you don't want to set profiles for each application. It's useful however since different applications tax the computer differently.

Overclocking:
So you've maxed out the quality settings but your FPS have bombed! One way to get around that is to increase your processor and graphics card speed. GE is mostly graphics card bound so you'll get the most bang from overclocking the graphics card.

I won't get into details here but please note that overclocking increases the temperature so be sure to keep temperatures in check!

I have my video card overclocked when at CW or heavy raids. I underclock it during normal leveling to save power and helps keep down the heat.
Nerdy Computer Specs! Cccoverclocked.thNerdy Computer Specs! Cccunderclocked.th

If you have GE in full screen mode and them minimize it, the 4890 will underclock itself further to 240/500 (basically when its idle)! From 500/500 to 925/1000, I get a 30fps difference on average.

CW is very playable with all settings maxed out while overclocked!

Examples of eyecandy at 1920x1200 resu! (converted from BMP to high quality JPG in P-P-P-Photoshop):
Nerdy Computer Specs! Capture00004f.thNerdy Computer Specs! Capture00005m.thNerdy Computer Specs! Capture00006.thNerdy Computer Specs! Capture00010x.thNerdy Computer Specs! Capture00013.th

And Ele's not so flattering paparazzi shot:
Nerdy Computer Specs! Capture00015g.th

My hardware specs:
Windows Vista Ultimate x64 SP1
AMD Phenom II X3 720
Gigabyte GA-MA790X-UD4P
MSI 4890 OC (Factory OC at 880/999, Manual OC 925/1000)
G.Skill DDR2 1066 4GB (2x2GB) 5-5-5-15
Xcilio 600w
Seagate 250GB 7200.10 & 640GB 7200.11
All stuffed into my Lian Li PC-7B Plus II
NEC MultiSync LCD2470WNX (MVA panel not TN)
Back to top Go down
Wing™

Wing™

Number of posts : 83
Registration date : 2009-03-14

Nerdy Computer Specs! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nerdy Computer Specs!   Nerdy Computer Specs! EmptyWed Jun 10, 2009 1:02 pm

Merq, thanks for this guide. Maybe you can change the title/subject from Nerdy computer specs to... cheers
Tips in Reducing Lag in CW with your computer or building a new pc.

Anyway, I also come acrossed this review site regarding HD4770 CrossFire. You might want to check it too.
http://www.legitreviews.com/article/966/1/
When the ATI Radeon HD 4770 graphics card was launched it featured a good price versus performance value for a card that cost $109. Now that the price has dropped down to $94.99 after rebate you can purchase two Radeon HD 4770 to be used in CrossFire for $190, which is a phenomenal price for a great setup. At just $190 after rebates the Radeon HD 4770 CrossFire setup will easily out perform ATI’s Radeon HD 4890 OC, which retails for $219.99 after rebate. This puts a dent in the Radeon HD 4890 OC as the Radeon HD 4770 CrossFire setup was 11% faster in Crysis Warhead and costs 13% less. To play devil's advocate a single Radeon HD 4890 OC did lead in a couple benchmarks and if you own a motherboard that lacks CrossFire compatibility you'd need a card like that. A Radeon HD 4890 OC is also nice if want an upgrade path down the road as you can always add another card for more performance. That being said for thoe wanting the most performance for under $200 the Radeon HD 4770 is clearly the right choice.
Back to top Go down

Nerdy Computer Specs!
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Granado Espada : Sophistique :: Sophistique :: Sophistique chatter-
Jump to: